The Brotherhood provides meaningful, fulfilling, and easy paths for men to be involved in Temple Emanuel life. A service and social auxiliary of Temple Emanuel, we invite all men to join. Through dues and fundraising efforts, the Brotherhood supports the Temple in a variety of ways – see below. We are perhaps most visible at the Sunday brunches and dinners we sponsor which feature outstanding speakers and are open to all congregants. The Brotherhood also sponsors the Temple softball team, provides ushers for services, and performs Temple grounds clean-ups.
Temple Spotlight Program – Thursday, January 28 2021, at 7:30 p.m.
Brotherhood-led Kabbalat Shabbat service – Friday, January 29, 2021, at 6:30 p.m.
Brotherhood Brunch – Sunday, January 31, 2021, at 9:30 a.m. Guest speaker Amy Schwartz, editor of Can Robots Be Jewish? And Other Pressing Questions of Modern Life, based on Moment Magazine’s Ask the Rabbis column
Joint Brunch and Virtual Museum Tour with WRJ – Sunday, February 28, 2021 Museum of the Jewish People in Beit Hatfutsot
Joint Program with Israel Engagement Committee – Sunday, April 18, 2021 Guest speaker Prof. Arie Dubnov, Chair of the Israel Studies program in the Dept. of History at George Washington University, speaking on the history of partition plans.
Events and Services we offer:
- Brotherhood Brunches
- Youth Grants, including:
- KESTY and school learning and social grants
- grants for TE religious school trips
- grants to attend Jewish–themed trips and camps
- gifts to B’nai Mitzvah and confirmands
- high school student mentorship program with Global Mitzvah Team
- Brotherhood membership dinner (usually in the Fall)
- Brotherhood-led Shabbat services (January and July)
- Ushering for Shabbat and High Holiday services
- Outings (Bowie Baysox, whiskey tastings, etc.)
- Social Justice outreach and events, such as leading a Temple Black Lives Matter rally
- Sunshine Committee sends out notes of congratulations and sympathy, and provides home delivered meals to those recuperating or otherwise in need of temporary assistance
- Texas Hold ‘Em Tournament and Game Night (spring)
- Community Spotlights highlighting congregants’ interesting pastimes and hobbies
- Softball team
|The first year’s membership for New Temple adult male members is complementary. Annual dues are $40 per person, and can be paid directly to Temple Emanuel, c/o Brotherhood, 10101 Connecticut Avenue, Kensington, MD 20895. For more information about membership, contact Brotherhood President Larry Hershman at firstname.lastname@example.org|